Weekly News and Notes, 11/1
Here are some updates from UHS:
First Term Grades/Parent Conferences
In the next week or so, we will be sending information about parent-teacher conferences, which is scheduled for November 14. We use an online system for registration, and parents can sign up for five minute meetings. These are intended for us to have face time with as many parents as possible, and we are well aware that people feel constrained by the time limits.
If you find yourself needing more time, simply reach out to your child's counselor or the teacher for a follow up call, email, or conference.
First term grades are closing next week, so that will help provide some insight on conversations you may want to have come November 14. Do not feel obligated to wait, though, as teachers are in constant contact with many families and guardians beyond the formal night of conferences.
Our parent-teacher conferences can be accessed at: uxyhs.schoolappointments.com.
The portal for registering for appointments will open on November 7 at 12:00 p.m., and it will close at 9:00 a.m. on Thursday, November 14.
If you wish to schedule an appointment with a teacher but there is no time, or you are unable to make it on the 14th, please select the "call back" option. We will attempt to make sure that all call-backs take place within a couple of weeks.
Even if you set up an account last year, you will have to set up a new account this year, unfortunately. It is easier to have everyone reset than to field calls for password resets, and we find that many of our users change from year to year. Sorry for any inconvenience.
School Appointments - Parent Instructions
1. Go to our school appointments web site: http://uxyhs.schoolappointments.com/
2. Register for an account by clicking the "REGISTER" menu tab and filling in the on-line form. Choose a user id and password for yourself and then click the "Register Now" button.
3. Add your children into the system by clicking the "Add a Student" button. Click "Insert New" button to add more children.
4. Click the "date" icon beside each child's name to schedule appointments. Select the staff you wish to book appointments with and the "View Calendars" button. Use the "Ctrl" or "Command" key to select multiple staff to view at the same time.
5. Click on available time slots to book your appointments and then click the "Book Appointments" button to save your bookings.
Athletics in Postseason/Winter Registration
Our field hockey team plays Hopedale in the second round of the Division II tournament today (Friday) at 2:30, and our girls soccer and cross country teams will compete in the next week in their divisional tournaments. Football will play at Millbury on Saturday at 2:00 p.m. with playoff brackets released early next week.
Winter registration for athletics is currently open via FamilyID; please make sure that student-athletes are registered!
UHS to Present at National Conference
Uxbridge High School Principal Michael Rubin and Assistant Principal Michael DiMeglio will be presenting at the National Consortium of Secondary STEM Schools Professional Learning Conference next week, sharing the successes of UHS in designing High Quality Career Innovation Pathways through partnerships with community and industry. UHS became a member of the NCSSS last year through a rigorous application process.
The NCSSS defines STEM schools as those that prepare students to be leaders in global innovation by engaging them in rigorous, relevant, and integrated learning experiences, with a science, technology, engineering, and mathematics focus and specialization that include authentic research and/or project-based focus school-wide. Member schools fulfill these criteria:
- Have a science, technology, engineering and mathematics focus.
- Require students to take advanced course offerings in STEM areas.
- Include authentic research and/or project-based focus school-wide.
- Maintain affiliations with local colleges/universities/research facilities/etc.
- Students participate in external STEM related competitions.
Half-Day Next Friday
There will be a half day on Friday, November 8 and no school on Monday, November 11. There will be no Weekly News and Notes sent next Friday.
Week That Was
Here's a look back at the Week that Was:
Have a great weekend!